Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Million Dollar Decorators

Have you been tuning in to this new show on Bravo? I DVR'd it and finally got the chance to sit down and watch the first episode. Instead of summarizing my thoughts about Million Dollar Decorators, the new reality show centered on a handful of Los Angeles based interior designers, go read Erin's take on it because I think she says it best.


And also, I would just like to state, for the record. . . if any body is curious as to why I left my job working for a prestigious, high-end L.A. designer back in 2005, this show is the epitome of that explanation! Lets rewind. . .

I was finishing up the interior design program at FIDM and landed a job as the Executive Assistant to Madeline Stuart. I was on my way to being bumped up to a Project Manager after six months when I  woke up one day and realized that I couldn't take it all any more! I couldn't handle Los Angeles and the level of shallowness I was forced to digest every single day. Not to mention the materialism and the fakeness. The fake people, the fake attitudes, the fake accents, the fake names, I could go on, but I'll stop there. There is much debate going on throughout the blog world about whether or not this show is realistic. Let me tell you, after working in the field of interior design, in that town, at that level, this show is a pretty realist portrayal of it all.

Long story short, I packed up my bags, moved back home to Northern California and haven't looked back since. Ok, maybe I have had tiny regrets here or there, but for the most part I am happy I didn't stay in L.A. and turn into one of those money grubbing monsters. What can I say, I guess I am more of a small town, down-to-earth kind of girl and am much happier working with clients whose budgets are a fraction of Sharon Osbornes! I truly believe that well designed homes, great interiors and fabulous design doesn't have to cost millions and millions of dollars.

Have you watched the show? Do you love the drama or hate the snobbery?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails