Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hallway Improvements

Right before Christmas I tackled a project around my house that I have been dying to get done for some time. . . the hallway! Take a look at the 'before';


This is the wall between the bathroom door and the doorway into the kitchen. As you can see, the thermostat is right smack in the middle making it a tricky spot to incorporate any wall decor. I decided a gallery style wall of pictures and art would be the best solution.


After we painted over the boring beige with a light and airy gray color I finally hung up some pictures and art, all framed in white. I used several pictures from our recent wedding as well as a couple pieces of art that we picked up while on our honeymoon. I also incorporated a wooden letter 'O' (since my new last name is Olvera.) 

I created an art print with our wedding vows written on it and framed that in the upper left hand corner. Here's a closeup:


My sister purchased a custom piece of art from Etsy, framed it and gave it to us as a wedding gift. It's our names and wedding date written in the sand which is hanging in the bottom right hand corner.


Here's a close up of my favorite wedding picture which is framed and hanging in the center above the thermostat;


I also hung up the abalone shell that we used to hold our wedding bands during the ceremony;


The picture in the upper right hand corner was purchased in a surf shop in Santa Cruz while we were there for a week after the wedding. It's a shot of the iconic light house taken by a local artist.


So what do you think? I think the thermostat blends in now and isn't such an eye sore, which was my goal from the beginning. It wasn't my initial intentions to create a whole 'wedding wall' of pictures and art, but I love, love, love the way it turned out. Of course down the road if I tire of all the pictures I can change them out, or add to it, but for now I love having a wall of special reminders from our wedding day and honeymoon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails