Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Keepin it real

I came home the other day to find this:


Jake, my fiance's 14 year old son, decided to plaster his bedroom door with stickers. My initial reaction was "oh no, those have to come down". . . but then I started to think. . . is it really that bad?

My mom always let me do whatever I wanted with my bedroom and bedroom door as a child and as a teenager. I really think my creativity and love for design started right in my very own bedroom where I was allowed the creative freedom to do whatever I wanted with the space. I was always constantly moving furniture and posters around, creating art for my walls, and using my door as if it was an inspiration board where I would tape my favorite things to it. I'm so thankful that my mom allowed me to do whatever I wanted with my own space and really appreciate it as an adult.

I opted not to demand the stickers come down, and try and be the cool soon-to-be step mom. If those stickers are a sense of self expression, who am I to stop him? Besides, I really don't mind them that much and enjoy the fact that our home is ever evolving with not just mine, but our families tastes!

What about you? If you have kids, do you control how their room looks and functions, or do you let your kids call the shots in their personal space?
Related Posts with Thumbnails