Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Small Space Living

Living in smaller quarters requires a lot of things; planning, patience and organization, to name a few. I have lived in a teeny tiny studio apartment all the way up to a 2,000 square foot house and let me tell you, there is a lot of things you take for granted when living in a larger space! I remember moving into my studio apartment in Los Angeles and wondering 'where the hell am I going to put all my stuff?!?!'. After a little bit of careful planning and organizing, I was able to make use of spots that most people take for granted. For example, the top of the refrigerator was used for magazine storage (is this weird?!), under the bed housed baskets for sheets, towels and extra blankets. I alsokept all of my jewelry, purses, scarves and belts on hooks in the closet. These are just a couple of things I was able to do to keep my sanity, as well as an organized living space.

I recently shared with you my 'office makeover' (which was originally a linen closet.) The total size of the space is just under two square feet, but I didn't let that stop me from turning it into a functioning office. Basically the moral of my story here is that the most important thing to remember when dealing with small spaces is to MAKE EVERY INCH COUNT! Here are a few examples of spaces that are small in size, but big on style!



I think tucking a bed away into it's own little nook is a fabulous idea. It's not only space saving, but oh so cozy, as well!
via Alkemie

No formal entry? No coat closet? No problem! By adding a couple of simple hooks and a chair you can create an instant 'entry' to your home.
 
via design sponge

I love the idea of using a dining area to also function as an office or library.
via Houzz

By keeping the furnishings, bedding, cabinetry, and walls white and simply adding a few splashes of color, this space doesn't feel cramped at all (even though the dining table is practically in the bedroom!)
 
via Houzz

Utilizing furniture that can double as storage is a great space saving idea.
via BHG

Living in studio apartments can be sort of tricky. Using drapery panels to divide 'sleeping areas' apart from 'living areas' is a great way to maximize your space.
via Apartment Therapy

By concealing a table with fabric, you can use the space below for extra storage as well. 

These are just a few ideas for making a small space work for you. What about you? Are there any other creative ideas for saving space that you have put to use in your home?
Related Posts with Thumbnails