Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tie-Dyed Scarves

Every year for Christmas I like to give a handmade gift to each one of the special girls in my life (sisters, mom, cousins, nieces, friends, etc.) Last year I made everyone beaded bracelets. This year I plan to make tie-dyed, jersey knit scarves with frayed, beaded ends. I need to start early in order to get them all completed in time (and I have to admit, I am really excited about this new project!) Each scarf will be different, utilizing different colors of dye and different beads adorning the frayed ends. Here's an inspiring photo I found;



I'm going to use the instructions I found on this site in order to make the scarfs.

Then, I will use a Tulip tie-dye kit like this one or this one to transform the fabric from boring and ordinary into an extraordinary explosion of color! I am also considering mixing my own dyes using this kit, so that I can create something even MORE unique (aqua? lavender? black? hmmm, I think I will have to try this!!)

For the beaded ends, I will simply fray the ends and string them with coordinating beads (wood beads? crystal beads? silver beads? It all depends on the style of the individual scarf and the individual style of the recipient) and then tie knots at the ends to secure them.

I can't wait to get started! If they turn out as wonderful as I imagine them to be, I might just have to make more of them and open up an etsy shop and sell them!
Related Posts with Thumbnails