Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miniature Chairs


I first saw a collection of these adorable miniature chairs when I stepped out of the elevator at FIDM (the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) in Los Angeles on my first day of classes a few years back. They were in a large display case right as you exited the elevator and I couldn't help but drool over them! I couldn't name a single chair or the person who designed any of them at that time, but half way through my third quarter, thanks to Mr. Adams and the Survey of Architecture and Interior Design I & II courses, that changed.

To be honest with you, I didn't think about these wonderful little mini's for the longest time until I saw this post a few weeks ago on Making It Lovely's blog. This sparked my interest in them all over again! After a little research I have found that there are two different types. The real-deal ones are made by Vitra and available through allmodern.com and can set you back a pretty penny. We're talking like $150 to $350 just for a miniature little chair that measures 5"! Granted they are all hand crafted and licensed and what not but I was on a mission to find something a little more attainable. Then I stumbled upon this site that sells them at a much more reasonable price, from around $10-$25. Well, after doing a little more research I found out that there is a company that sells them as 'mystery' blind box sets, meaning the actual chair you receive is a mystery, which seams kinda fun! What a great gift idea! Check them out here. Some of these chairs are 1:6 scale, some are 1:12 but all I know is I HAVE to get my hands on some of these!!!





Related Posts with Thumbnails